Why do we need an extra day?
It takes the Earth approximately 365.242189 days – or 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, and 45 seconds – to circle once around the Sun. Without an extra day every four years, we would lose almost six hours every year. After only 100 years, our calendar would be off by approximately 24 days. Julius Caesar implemented the first ‘leap day’ in his Julian Calendar, which he introduced in 45 BC.
If your birthday is February 29, you share it with people such as:
- Ja Rule, rapper
- Tony Robbins,motivational speaker and author
- Mervyn Warren, singer and 10-time Grammy winner of gospel group, Take 6
- Dennis Farina, actor, Law & Order
- Dinah Shore, singer, actress & TV personality
- John Byrom, 17th century poet, invented shorthand
- Pope Paul II, 15th century pope
- Superman, according to DC Comics, February 29 is the super hero’s birthday.
Some important events happened on February 29:
- The first arrests in the Salem witchcraft trials in 1692.
- Panama Canal commission was formed in 1904.
- ‘Gone with the Wind’ won Academy Awards in 1940. 8 Oscars including the first by an African American.
- ‘Family Circus’ comic strip debuts in 1960.
- ‘Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts club Band’ named Album of the year in 1968 Grammy Awards.
- Gordie Howe hits his 800th goal in 1980 at the age of 51.
- Davy Jones, lead singer of The Monkees, died of a heart attack at the age of 66 in 2012.
So, February is a special day. For most, it’s just another day in the week. But now that you have an ‘extra’ day, what can you do with it? Here are 29 ideas…
What to do with an extra day…
- Rent or stream a good movie to watch with the family.
- Go on a walk or run and enjoy the outdoors.
- Stop for a specialty coffee on the way home from work or school.
- Splurge on your evening meal. Whether you go out or dine in, make it special.
- Buy flowers for someone to let them know they are special on this special day.
- Make a list of the things you are grateful for in your life and post it where others can see it – refrigerator or facebook?
- Do one good thing for someone. Extra points if it’s for someone who doesn’t deserve it.
- If you’re caught in traffic, turn the radio up and roll down the windows. Sing it!
- Call someone you haven’t called in a long time.
- Say ‘Hi’ to your neighbors. Wish them a happy ‘Leap Day!’
- Pray for a missionary or pastor.
- Make a card and send it to someone who needs cheering up.
- Listen to a worship album and think about all God has done for you. Make sure to thank Him.
- Start reading a new book or finish reading a current one.
- Apologize to someone you’ve hurt.
- Share your faith with someone.
- Clean out your car. You might find enough change to get a cup of coffee.
- Take a slow drive through the country.
- Pray for someone who is hurting.
- Catch up on your Bible reading.
- Clean out your junk drawer. Amazing finds are waiting for you.
- Take an extra long afternoon break just for you.
- Eat ice cream, especially if you normally don’t.
- Get a massage or manicure.
- Go off your diet for one day.
- Renew one of your New Year’s Resolutions. Start again.
- Instead of taking it easy, do something difficult. Have a good, hard workout at the gym.
- Catch up on your sleep. Take a nap. Go to be early tonight.
I hope you have a great Leap Day! But make sure you live every day, not just today, to its fullest. Every day is a gift. So live every day for the God who gave it to you. No regrets!
How will/would you spend an extra day? I’m at the chiropractor!