Throughout the Bible we are taught to give. There are three kinds of giving in the Bible: tithes, offerings and alms. Alms are for the poor, offerings are for specific needs (missions, building programs) and the tithe is giving ten percent of our salary to the church. The tithe is the foundation of giving. We give it first, then we give offerings and alms.
Tithing reflects a grateful heart that wants to give back to God a portion of what He has given us. In reality, it is already His. Tithing is our opportunity to show God that He is first in our lives. Tithing is an opportunity to tangibly show God He is the “owner” of our finances by giving back to Him the first of what He gives us.
Some question if the tithe is still for today. Though it was part of the Jewish law, it was practiced by godly people before and after the law. Evidently, Jesus tithed. It seems logical that we should not give less now than was required under the Jewish law.
Where should the tithe go? God always had a designated recipient for the tithe. At times it was the priest, other times it was the Tabernacle or the Temple. Today, it would seem the best place to give your tithe is your local church. The local church is God’s expression of Himself to the world.
I discovered 7 good reasons to tithe.
1. Tithe to safeguard your treasure. You are investing where it is totally secure. “Don’t store up treasures on earth! Moths and rust can destroy them, and thieves can break in and steal them.” (Matthew 6:19)
2. Tithe because you desire God’s blessings. God blesses the nine-tenths of your salary. He promises to pour out a blessing there would not be room enough to receive. This is not always in financial returns, but in ways that only you realize.
3. Tithe because your church needs it. The church does great work and needs your support. “Bring the entire ten percent into the storehouse, so there will be food in my house.” (Malachi 3:8)
4. Tithe because lost souls need the gospel. People will be reached and saved as God’s people bring the tithe into the storehouse (the church).
5. Tithe because tithing brings you joy. The knowledge of doing God’s will brings peace of mind and joy to your heart. “God loves a cheerful giver” (II Corinthians 9:7)
6. Tithe because of what God has done for you. He gave His only Son, He saved your soul and He blesses you with possessions. He said, “Prove me” (Malachi 3:10) and He has proved faithful.
7. Tithe because you love God. You recognize Him as the Eternal One who created the universe and is the only One who knows what is best for you.
Have you discovered other good reasons to tithe? Share them.