I don’t remember the first time I heard the name Bob Goff. However, he impressed me so much I read both his books this year (Love Does, Everybody Wins), and then read his wife’s book (Love Lives Here). All are excellent.
When I heard that Bob was speaking at the 2018 Fall meeting of the Baptist Bible Fellowship International, I was excited. The place was packed and he did not disappoint us. I have no idea how long he talked. It was probably over an hour but I still wanted him to keep talking. He was that engaging.
I tried to outline his talk, but I just couldn’t. He’s a bubbly, wildly imaginative speaker. And so, so funny. My overall take-away was to get involved in people’s life. Don’t hesitate to move closer to people and chose to love them. Be available. Make a difference.
Some unique things about Bob. When he wrote his book, he put his personal cell phone number in it. Anybody who calls him gets an answer. Really! That is being available.
Also, all his pants have the left pocket cut out. If he puts anything in his left pocket, it falls out. It reminds him that everything is meant to be kept or let go. Wisdom is deciding what to keep and let go.
I did write down some of his one-liners. He had so many. I hope something that captured my attention, will give you something to encourage you today.
Bob Goff One-Liners…
- People will know how you love by how available you are.
- I’m not trying to be right anymore. I’m trying to be Jesus.
- Some people think they are Jesus’ lawyer and try to defend Him. He doesn’t need one and you’re not good at it.
- If you’re doing it because of the applause, join the circus. Do it for Jesus.
- Know why you’re doing what you’re doing.
- Galatians 5:6 – “the only thing that counts is faith expressed in love”.
- You either have to hand on or let it go.
- Oneness doesn’t mean sameness. You don’t have to be like each other; or them like you. You both need to be like Jesus.
- If you’re not hearing ‘my beloved’ over your biggest mistake, it’s not Jesus.
- What do you want? Jesus can begin to work that.
- Don’t make your faith complex, because it isn’t. But don’t make it simple, because it isn’t.
- I want Jesus and nothing more. Keep your eyes on Jesus and don’t get distracted.
- Comparison is a punk. Don’t live anybody else’s life.
- Love is sacrifice and commitment.
- When love has an agenda, it is not love. It’s a program.
- Some children stop playing catch because they’re afraid of dropping the ball. But a good father steps closer so you can catch it.
- We don’t lead people to Jesus. Jesus leads people to Jesus. We just play catch with them.
- Love everybody always. Start with the people you don’t like.
- Comfortable people don’t need Jesus; desperate people do.
- Are you wiling to do what it takes to get what you want?
- In some churches, people feel invited but not welcome. Stop inviting people to church and welcome them.
- 1 Timothy 1:16 reminds us that it’s going to take patience to live like this. Patience comes from gratitude.
- In Luke 17:11-19, the lepers watched Jesus from far away. All were cleans but only one came back to show gratitude and was made whole. Jesus asked, ‘Where are the other nine?’ Jesus wanted the one guy to go get the rest and bring them close to Him.
- I want to fail trying, not fail watching.
- Use what you already have to get what you want.
- Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus. Don’t try to fix everybody else.
- When you step out in faith, that’s when God moves mountains.