Stewardship is the Biblical principle of ownership. The Bible teaches that God owns everything and has simply allowed us to use it. Our house, car, finances, talents, family, even our life belongs to God. Because God owns it all He has a right to tell us what to do with it. It is not ours to decide how we will use it.
The Bible also teaches that though all we have belongs to Him, He gives us the responsibility of taking care of it the way He commanded. The Bible gives us clear commands and principles that we are to follow that guarantee success in taking care of God’s possessions.
The Bible also teaches that there will come a time of judgment concerning how well we took care of what God gave us. If we have done what He commanded, we will be rewarded with more. However, if we have done nothing and treated it as if it were our own with no regard to God’s desire, it will be taken away.
Please notice several Stewardship principles and their Biblical foundation…
- God owns everything. Matthew 25:14-30
- Believers will give an account of all that is committed into their hands. Matthew 25:1-46
- We shall be judged based on what God has committed to us. Psalm 8:6
- The principle by which we are judged is faithfulness. 1 Corinthians 4:2
- A Christian will lose the assets and abilities that he does not use for God. Luke 16:2
- You reap what you sow! Galatians 6:5-9; Ecclesiastes 11:1; Philippians 4:1-23
- You reap in the same proportion as you sow. Luke 6:38
- You reap in the same kind. Galatians 6:7
- Giving is proof of love. 2 Corinthians 8:8
- The principle of worship is involved in stewardship. Deuteronomy 26:10
- God has always had a place for His people to give. Malachi 3:10
- There is an inseparable relationship between stewardship and spirituality. Luke 16:11
- Stewardship is directly related to spiritual growth. 2 Corinthians 8:7
- Stewardship is a grace. 2 Corinthians 8:1-24
- Giving is a gift. Romans 12:8
- Stewardship is necessity to carrying out the great commission. Philippians 4:13-19
- Stewardship expresses our thanksgiving. 2 Corinthians 9:12
- Stewardship is a way that we can sacrifice acceptably. Philippians 4:18; Romans 12:8
- Stewardship begins with the giving of ourselves. 2 Corinthians 8:5
What have you discovered about giving & stewardship?